What mysteries lie beneath its stone? Bearing the seal of the Benedictine monks, the château has always been regarded as a place of wisdom.
The monks perhaps heard this call to wisdom when in 1109, they decided to build a priory dedicated to Saint Benoit. The priory stood for centuries before being destroyed during the Protestant rebellions of 1621. A new château was built on the ruins and was passed down from family to family until the arrival of the Shvidler family in 2001.
A Benedictine priory is built on the spot of the current château. It’s part of the Sauve-Majeure Abbey in Gironde, which owned properties across England and Spain. It’s probable that the monks quickly realised that Thenac’s terroir was well suited to wine growing.
After centuries of prosperity, the priory is destroyed in the turmoil of the Huguenot rebellions. The reformers knock down the church and the Thénac priory. The current château has, however, preserved a few of the priory’s former features, such as some of the beautiful 16th century vaulted rooms.
Re-designed and re-built, the château stood the test of time. We have few records of this era, but we do know that the estate was always surrounded by agricultural land and grape vines.
The estate is acquired by the Shvidler family. A great renovation project of the château, the production buildings and the vineyard is begun.
The new vat-house is built. It’s adapted to the demands of plot by plot and intra-plot grape selections.
With the acquisition of new plots, the vineyard grows bigger and the wines become more consistent as quality soars. The new barrel cellar came into operation from 2010.
2012 sees the arrival of Stéphane Guillot. The new director (ex-Domaines Ott) brings with him his expertise in the vinification of grand crus.
The estate begins working with Hubert de Boüard (Château Angélus) as a technical consultant.